|Posting Title||WIC Nutritionist|
|Division Name||APH Womens,Infant,Children WIC|
|Department||Austin Public Health|
|Is this a Grant-Funded position?||Grant Funded|
|EEO/AA||The city of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.|
|Duties, Functions, and Responsibilities||Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned. Assess income and nutritional needs to determine eligibility for WIC Program according to Federal, State, and Local policies and procedures
2. Deliver group and individual nutrition and breastfeeding education according to the agency approved Nutrition Education Plan.
3. Perform participant income and health screenings which includes obtaining ID, residency, and health history, measuring height, weight, and length of WIC client and plotting on growth grid, calculating income and BMI, performing finger stick and determining conditions of nutritional need.
4. Prescribe supplemental food package, assess the need for breastfeeding pumps and supplies, and issues in accordance with Federal, State, and Local policies and procedures.
5. Screen immunization record to obtain immunization status.
6. Refer participants to appropriate community, health and human service resources as needed.
7. Issue and maintain an inventory of returned formula, breast pumps and supplies, and educational material according to policy.
8. Participate in assigned health fairs, community events, and projects and makes presentations to groups as assigned.
9. Prepare bulletin boards with nutrition messages according to the agency approved Nutrition Education Plan.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
|Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities||Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Knowledge of Federal, State, City, and local policies and regulations that pertain to WIC services.
• Knowledge of principles and practice of nutrition, breastfeeding physiology, anatomy, and counseling techniques.
• Knowledge of public health programs, social services, and client needs.
• Skill in providing nutrition and breastfeeding education and excellent customer service and support.
• Skill in handling multiple tasks, organizing and prioritizing.
• Skill in using computers and related software applications.
• Ability to work with frequent interruptions.
• Ability to communicate information and ideas, effectively, clearly and concisely with others.
• Ability to interact effectively and professionally with persons from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, education, racial, ethnic and professional backgrounds; managers, co-workers, and members of the public and professional groups.
|Minimum Qualifications||• Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to Food and Nutrition.
Licenses or Certifications:
• Valid Class C Texas driver’s license.
• Completion of all required WIC modules during the probationary period.
Please apply at www.austincityjobs.org/posting/72104