Public Transportation Travel Trainer
The Public Transportation Travel Trainer reports directly to the Manager, Paratransit Eligibility. The position is responsible for the formulation, implementation, and training for the fixed route bus training program for seniors and persons with disabilities who primarily use paratransit programs or do not meet the eligibility requirements to use MetroAccess, Capital Metro’s paratransit provider. This position is also responsible for providing consultation and assistance with paratransit eligibility evaluations, assessments, and monitoring of ridership trends to assist Capital Metro in the provision of transportation services in accordance with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other applicable state and federal regulations.
- Provide classroom, one-on-one, and individualized training for planning, boarding, riding and navigating public transit system and conduct ridership surveys to determine the success of the training.
- Recruit, screen, and assess MetroAccess applicants, monitor and provide continued status updates for current paratransit participants.
- Perform administrative support function for maintaining consistent documentation of training records to ensure customer confidentiality.
- Develop and provide Capital Metro and MetroAccess with training aids, manuals, and other training materials; provide evaluation and service coordination.
- Provide staff with initiatives to increase accessibility of regular fixed route services to individuals with public transit accessibility challenges to assure compliance with applicable federal, state and local regulations.
- Assist with establishing and maintaining documentation, processes, and procedures related to travel training, eligibility, and pathway assessment departments as necessary.
- Develop workshops and other special events to introduce customers and professionals in the community to accessible public transportation resources and services relevant to seniors and customers with varying disabilities.
- Represent Capital Metro effectively when teaching or communicating with internal and external customers.
- Assist with training of volunteers and coordination of clients into the Metro Ambassador program as needed.
- Provide daily, weekly, quarterly, and annual documentation and reports as necessary.
- Work outside in all types of weather and over all types of terrain.
- Support Capital Metro’s safety culture by following safety and security policies, considering safety in every action and reporting safety and security concerns.
- Perform other duties as required and/or assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Social Sciences, Rehabilitation, Orientation and Mobility, or related field. Related experience may be substituted on a year for year basis up to four (4) years.
- Four (4) years’ experience working directly with cognitive and/or mobility impaired individuals in the community.
- Experience in interpreting and applying federal and state transportation and accessibility regulations to include ADA compliance.
- Experience in developing, delivering, evaluating, and reporting results of training curriculum for classrooms, small groups or individuals is preferred.
- Experience in assessing individual’s functional abilities to perform transit related tasks is preferred.
- Strong PC skills, including experience using email, word-processing, spreadsheet and database software.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Orientation and Mobility certification preferred.
- Valid Texas Drivers License.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of transportation regulations and accessibility challenges for individuals with disabilities.
- Knowledge of varying disabling conditions including cognitive, physical, and psychological.
- Knowledge of the Americans Disability Act (ADA) and other federal, state and local laws
- Knowledge of local traffic rules and regulations; as well as the local public transportation system and service area.
- Ability to use public transportation.
- Ability to physically navigate extended distances with varied terrain and weather.
- Ability to physically assist clients in utilizing public transit as needed during training.
- Ability to work in a flexible schedule environment, including evenings and weekends, and in a variety of weather conditions.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
CAPITAL METRO IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
SALARY RANGE: 42,612.00 - 53,265.00 - ANNUALLY
APPLY NOW https://capmetro.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/17?c=capmetro