- Austin, TX
- Salary: $45,000.00 /year
Date: Position available immediately
Reports to: President & CEO
About the Greater Austin Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (GAHCC):
Established in 1973, the GAHCC is a 501 (c) (6) nonprofit organization whose primary goal is to continue the advancement and progression of a strong and stable economic culture for Hispanic Businesses. The Chamber strives to reach these goals by developing business and management skills and bridging access to financial capital and maintaining our cultural values and integrity. By joining the staff of the GAHCC you will have the opportunity to expand your network, gain valuable experience, and be part of a thriving team creating a positive impact in our community.
The Manager of Public Policy& Economic Development will oversee the Hispanic Chamber’s efforts in the targeted areas of Government Affairs, Economic Development, Educational Initiatives, and will work closely with the Multi Ethnic Chamber of Alliance(MECA). The ideal candidate must possess a professional demeanor with a positive attitude, strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as an ability to organize efficiently; is able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with major stakeholders,community leaders, current and prospective members, affiliates, and volunteers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represents the Hispanic Chamber in community efforts and events related to Government Affairs, Education, and Economic Development.
- Keeping abreast of issues affecting the Hispanic Chamber’s members, Hispanic Business, and business in general on the local, state, and federal levels.
- Assists in the research, creation, distribution and writing of all legislative agendas at federal, state, and local levels.
- Conducts research on economic development opportunities and issues impacting Austin and the Hispanic Chamber’s respective constituencies.
- Oversees the Hispanic Chamber’s small business member efforts including but not limited to, contracting measures with public entities, coordination of efforts for business members to leverage contracting and technical assistance, and maintains relationships with groups who impact and expand small business revenue growth.
- Conducts research on education opportunities and issues impacting Austin and the Hispanic Chamber’s respective constituencies.
- Staff team-lead for the GAHCC’s Start-Up Superstars High School Entrepreneurial Competition
- Staff team-lead for the GAHCC Advocacy, Economic Development, and Education Committees.
- Works in partnership with other staff to ensure integration of programs and effective use of resources.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisors.
- A bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Communications, or related field preferred and/or at least 5 years of proven experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to establish, engage, and communicate effectively with stakeholders, community leaders and our members.
- The ability to meet deadlines, be organized and goal-oriented.
- Ability to set priorities and work both independently and as part of a team
- Flexible and open to change
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong computer skills, Microsoft, Outlook, and a strong knowledge of database management/CRM.
- Bilingual is preferred
Physical Demands and Environment:
The Manager of Public Policy & Economic Development will be expected to have daily transportation. The position requires a flexible schedule as events and meetings may occur in the evenings or occasionally on weekends. He/she will spend some time in the office that could involve intermittent physical activities including bending, reaching, sitting and walking. Additionally, it is anticipated that the person may spend several hours of each day seated at aPC. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable a person with physical disabilities to perform the job. Because we are a dynamic and changing organization, responsibilities and duties included in this job description are subject to modification as the needs of the organization change.
Please send resume and cover letter to our President & CEO, Luis Rodriguez, references and letters of recommendation are not required but will be accepted.