||Human Resources Advisor (Employee Relations)
|Job Requisition Number
||Aviation - Human Resources
Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in related field plus four (4) years of human resources experience in human resources.
One (1) additional year of experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years
Licenses or Certifications:
|Notes to Applicants
Primary job duties:
• Provide advice, counsel, guidance and direction in employee relations matters to all levels of employees regarding resolution of management and employee relations (ER) issues. Conduct timely and accurate workplace investigations, complaints and formal disciplinary investigations. Prepare appropriate investigation reports and enter into AIMon target database. Assist Law Department attorney in preparing for MCS appeals hearings. Provide leadership and training to management and employees on ER issues. Partner with HRD and Law Departments. Identify, develop, and implement ER processes and procedures. Respond to Public Information requests. Prepare response to TWC claims and charges and represent department at hearings; assist Law Department with EEOC position statements. Prepare pre-disciplinary and disciplinary notices and other disciplinary actions; attend meetings. Other duties as required.
• This position must travel between various locations as part of the regular job duties and individual may be required to drive own personal vehicle or city vehicle. Successful candidate must be in possession of a Texas driver’s license as authorized by Texas Transportation Code. A driving record verification will be conducted. Applicants for positions for which city driving is an which City driving is an essential function must meet the standards of the program: age 18 or older, current applicable driver’s license, proof of insurability, and no more than six (6) points assessed on Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) based on Department of Public Safety (DPS) Driver Record Report. This position falls under the COA safe driver program requirements. Go to the Driver Safety Program for more information: http://cityspace.ci.austin.tx.us/departments/hrm/risk/downloads/rmm_vol4_dsp.pdf
• A detailed and complete employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Please list your complete employment history (to include all job duties responsibilities and employment dates) on your online application. The application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered (e.g., “see resume” or “see Linked In Profile”). Resumes will not be used to qualify for the position and will not be used to recommend salary. Supplemental information or changes to your application will not be accepted after the job posting closes. The responses to the supplemental questions inquiring about experience should be reflected on your application. Work experience related to preferred qualifications should be reflected on your application.
• Veteran candidates will be required to provide a copy of their DD214 at the time of interview.
• Top candidate will be subject to a minimum 10 year criminal history background check and security threat assessment.
• Employees, in Good Standing, who are candidates within the department/division that the position resides in and who meet the minimum and preferred qualifications (if any) of the position will be included in the initial interview.
• Must have the ability to read, write, and fluently speak English.
• Overtime may be required with or without notice.
• A computerized assessment on business writing, MS word, and Excel will be conducted.
Please note that the department may close the job posting at any time after 7 days.
• Must be able to perform the following physical requirements with or without accommodation: Utilize eyes for long periods of time while operating computer and other office equipment. Reasonable dexterity of hands and fingers to operate and/or manipulate computer keyboard & other office equipment. Ability to verbally and effectively communicate utilizing face-to-face contact and telephones. Walk moderate distances. Sit for long periods of time to perform various computer/administrative tasks. Lift and/or carry documentation/boxes weighing up to 20 lbs. Reach and bend arms to perform duties such as filing. Reach and stretch arms above shoulders. Bend upper body to pick up items or to reach down. Twist neck/head side to side, up and down. Possess the physical and mental capacity to safely operate motor vehicle during day and/or night time when necessary.
$24.36 – $31.56
Core work hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ABIA operates 24/7 and work hours may include working evening or night shifts, after hours, holidays and weekends, when necessary.
|Job Close Date
|Type of Posting
|Grant Funded or Pooled Position
||ABIA - 2716 Spirit of Texas Drive
• 4+ years experience in employee relations
• 2+ years experience in conducting investigations and preparing investigatory reports
• Bilingual Spanish
• Texas drivers license
• Municipal Civil Service experience
• City of Austin ER experience
|Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Plans, designs, develops, implements, and evaluates major human resources programs.
2. Provides advice and counsel to management and other employee groups on a broad range of human resources issues and decisions.
3. Implements human resources programs, procedures, processes and strategies.
4. Identifies, analyze, and recommends solutions for various human resources problems, monitoring implementation of agreed upon actions until the problem has been resolved.
5. Advises and influences management in making sound human resources related decisions.
6. Analyzes morale indicators and other personnel measurements such as but not limited to surveys, turnover, and grievances, and present recommendations for corrective action programs when needed
7. Provides training to managers and supervisors on human resources topics and procedures.
8. Develops and maintains current knowledge in the assigned human resources areas and in the operations of the City and/or its Departments.
9. Develops and maintains knowledge and skill in the use of the computerized tools, databases, and communications techniques used in human resources within the City of Austin municipal government.
10. Answers questions from other city employees and the public.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Provide leadership for groups including other professionals and support staff in the area of Human Resources
May manage entire program or programs.
May lead group of human resources professionals.
Provide direction, guidance and mentor less experienced human resources personnel.
Provide training to managers and others on human resources issues.
Participate in hiring and assignment decisions of human resources professionals and/or support staff.
Periodically act as a team leader to special task forces or teams.
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of assigned human resources areas.
Knowledge of Federal, State, and Local laws and ordinances governing personnel activities.
Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
Skill in using computers and related software.
Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
Skill in planning and organizing.
Ability to handle hostility, conflict, and uncertain situations.
Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
Ability to train others.
Ability to develop and maintain knowledge in assigned specialized Human Resources areas.
Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public
|Does this job require a criminal background investigation?
||This position requires a criminal background investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
|Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
||the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.