We are looking for an Enterprise Program Management Office (EMPO) Manager who thrives in portfolio project management, strategic leadership and innovation, and implementation excellence! The Enterprise Planning Division at ERS is dedicated to providing proactive methods to undertake challenges and developments guided by agency goals. We work with Division partners to coordinate enhancement or development of ERS’ strategic plans, project plans, Group Benefits Program wellness, risk management, and operational governance.
The EPMO Manager performs advanced (senior-level) portfolio project management work and is responsible for enterprise strategic planning processes, project portfolio management, organizational change management, resource forecasting, and project implementation. The EPMO Manager will lead the EPMO Team in developing, planning, and managing projects while identifying potential project risks. The EPMO Manager will have considerable knowledge of the capabilities and limitation of computer systems, skills in the use of quantitative methods, and a talent for explaining abstractions in concrete terms.
The Employees Retirement System (ERS) supports state employees who have dedicated their career to supporting Texas! Our mission is to offer competitive benefits to enhance the lives of our members.
Essential Functions includes, but is not limited to:
- Under limited supervision of the Director of Enterprise Planning, with considerable latitude for use of initiative and independent judgment, directs the Enterprise Program Management Office in support of project portfolio initiatives:
- Provides oversight in identifying, reviewing, estimating, prioritizing, and ensuring funding of incoming projects based on stakeholder’s expectations, agency strategic plan and available resources.
- Oversees the development of or develops standardized project management processes, tools, methodologies, and templates.
- Coordinates, develops and maintains project portfolio plans.
- Identifies and perform analysis on potential project risks and implements appropriate courses of action to address project slippage and develop strategies to mitigate future risk.
- Negotiates time commitments and resources for project teams.
- Educates and drives project portfolio management processes throughout the organization, ensuring compliance.
- Escalates critical issues for appropriate/timely resolution as needed.
- Coordinates and develops portfolio resource forecasting for all agency work activities.
- Prepares and presents regular EPMO status reports to executive and top leaders.
- Analyzes existing procedures for efficiency and effectiveness and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Supervises and evaluates the work of EPMO personnel.
- Interviews and makes recommendations for hiring of new employees.
- Plans, budgets, schedules, and coordinates the activities of team members.
Required Minimum Qualifications
Your application for employment must reflect how you meet each of the following minimum qualifications:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in business, engineering, computer science or a relevant field is preferred. Each year of related experience over the required minimum may be substituted for one year (30 semester hours) of required college credit.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
- Five (5) years of experience directing a project portfolio management program and/or performing progressively difficult system analysis and design.
- Three (3) years of supervisory experience.
- Two (2) years of experience with MS Office Suite, with extensive use of Access and Excel to perform data analysis.
Your application for employment should reflect how you meet the following preferred qualifications:
6. Master’s degree (MBA, MIS or equivalent curriculum)
7. Experience with State of Texas employee benefits, financial applications, and structured analysis and design techniques.
8. Experience with client server, CA Clarity, PeopleSoft, and Tableau.
9. Experience preparing and/or analyzing complex data sets.
Work is performed in an office environment. Performs on-call or scheduled after hours work as required. This position may require access to privileged, confidential, or sensitive data. ERS will conduct either a TXDPS or FBI criminal history check on all new hires. For more information about this policy inquiries can be made to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Codes
There are no equivalent Military Occupational Specialty Codes related to this position. Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com with questions or for additional information.
Additional Military Crosswalk information specific to this posting can be accessed at the State Auditor’s office link below. Compare the Class Number in the ERS job posting to the Class Code on the State Auditor’s Office listing of job descriptions. The Military Crosswalk appears under Occupational Category for each job description.